Medium difficulty – preparation 30 minutes – cooking 140 minutes
Ingredients for 4 people
For the stew: One Kg and 800 g of rump | 4 carrots already cleaned, possibly equal in length | 2 red onions | 2 stalks of celery 2 glasses of full – bodied red wine | A jar of peeled tomatoes | 2 tablespoons of tomato paste | Extra virgin olive oil to taste | Salt and Pepper To Taste.
For the puree: One Kg of floury potatoes | A celeriac | A glass of fresh whole milk | 50 g of butter | Salt to taste.
1. We put the rump on the work surface, then, with a sharp knife, we practice a notch in the center, in which we will insert a carrot (or two). With the kitchen string, therefore, we tie the meat well.
2. We prepare the ingredients to brown the meat, cutting the remaining carrots, celery ribs and onions into coarse pieces. In a pan, therefore, we fix the smells with a generous turn of oil.
3. Place the meat wrapped in string in the pan together with carrot, celery, onion and oil. Brown it for a few minutes on high heat, turning it over and over and taking care not to puncture it.
4. When the vegetables are dried, add salt and pepper, blend with red wine, possibly a classic Chianti, and mix. We lower the heat and cover, starting the long cooking of the stew.
5. After about 10 minutes, we discover the meat being cooked and add the crushed peeled tomatoes and the tomato paste. Stir and continue to cook the stew for at least two more hours, with the lid on.
6. Peel the potatoes and celeriac, cut them into cubes and boil them in salted water, starting cold. Drain and let it cool, then with a potato masher we obtain a soft mashed potatoes, which we will collect in a pan.
7. Add a pinch of salt, butter and milk to the pan with the puree. We start cooking over medium heat and mix until the ingredients are mixed. We turn off the stove after about 10 minutes.
8. When the meat is cooked, take it from the pan, let it cool and wrap it in aluminum foil. Let’s put it aside. In the meantime, let the sauce of the stew shrink on a soft flame until it becomes dense and homogeneous.
9. Cut the meat into slices and lay it on a serving plate. We add the mashed potatoes and celeriac, then pour over the sauce and serve.